How to optimize your website for SEO
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) has become an essential part of your Marketing Strategy. I am sure you’ve heard about it so many times… But, what exactly does it mean? And what is it used for?
Today I’m going to answer that question and show you some website SEO tips that will help you along your journey to success. Keep reading!
Every Marketing Action Plan must contribute to meet, at least, one of the following objectives:
- Attract: The key here is to seduce. Most of the advertising that appears in the media respond to this purpose. The problem is that ads have experienced such a boom with the rise of Social Media, blogs and websites, and there are so much publicity displayed for customers to purchase, that it has become even more difficult to draw attention to our business and differenciate ourselves from the rest of multiple choices available.
- Earn customer loyalty: The key here is to satisfy. You need to know who your customers are and what they want. Once you got it clear, always meet and exceed their expectations.
- Brand positioning: The previous two are very related to the purchase of our product or service. However, sometimes we need to communicate with no intention of selling, but aiming for top-of-mind awareness (TOMA). This means that our target audience think of us first when they need to make a purchase within our product category. The main goal is to positionate our brand in first place on their mind, associating it with shared values and stablishing an emotional connection.
The purpose of SEO
The objectives of our SEO are determined by the objectives of our website. Do we want to sell an specific product? Or we just want to improve our brand image?
SEO itself implies the desire to reach the top listing in Google’s organic search results. The more you have, usually the better your search rankings will be.
– Selling our products
The main goal of every SEO strategy is to get traffic to a website to sell its products or services. If we are able to sell our products with a correct positioning, we are going to see our efforts rewarded with money. That’s why it’s so important to create an attractive title and description. All the arquitecture and usability of the website has to be sales-oriented.
– Creating a powerful brand identity
The purpose of a lot of landing pages is not to generate the customer’s purchase a priori, but to create branding.
– Promoting our personal image
This will work for bloggers and professionals who want to be publicly recognized.
– Finding comercial opportunities
This is not the main goal, but while you positionate your personal or professional brand image, you could indirectly find an associate who contacted you because of the quality of your work.
– Increasing advertising revenue
If you get to triple your traffic, you will be able to triple your benefits. Because of this, a lot of SEO’s that earn income thanks to advertising only focus on getting traffic to their website to get clicks on the ads.
Get your website recognized by Google
Moreover, how to rank on the first page of Google’s search results?
The answer is simple: creating quality content. Through content optimization, you will be easily discoverable by Search Engines and therefore, by users. That’s what SEO is used for, and its main goal is to achieve the best possible web positioning for your content.
The basic SEO is just a simple exercise of adapting supply to demand. Just as it happens in the traditional offline world. That means that the first step is to know that what you offer is demanded by an specific niche.
Lead a huge effort to know what keywords and exact phrases people look for. What are the most interesting keywords related to my content and my audience? One of the Keyword Tools for Internet Marketers I use to reveal the hottest and most profitable keywords online is Jaaxy.
Jaaxy lets you know:
- The average number of searches that the keyword receives per month (Avg).
- The visit to your website if you achieve first page rankings in the Search Engines (Traffic).
- The Quoted Search Results (QSR): the number of competing websites ranked in Google for that exact keyword.
- The Keyword Quality Indicator (KQI): Green is Great, Yellow is OK and Red is Poor.
- The SEO: a score based on traffic and competition. The higher the score, the more likely you will rank for this keyword on the first page (scale of 1-100, higher = better).
- The availability of domains that are related to the keyword.
Once you have explored and studied the different keywords, the next step would be to make a small list of all of them to decide on which ones you want to focus, and once you have decided this, it begins the work on the page itself, known as “On-Page SEO“.
For you to be noticed by several Search Engines, they need to know what is your website about and how relevant your content is related to an specific search. The challenge now is to use the SEO on each page in the best possible way for Google to consider you the best option for the user to find what he/she is looking for.
Links are very important here. Google will give more visibility to a website and a domain as more links it has, having in mind the quality of those links and the thematic similarity between the pages. Using sophisticated link analysis, the engines can discover how pages are related to each other and in what ways.
You can have a look at what Moz, a top SEO consulting company, says about the importance of linkbuilding.
10 Tips to optimize your content for SEO
1. Clear, descriptive and attractive titles: They will help users know a previous context associated to what they are about to read.
2. Write for your niche, not for the Search Engines. Let your readers know that you care about them.
3. Your audience will appreciate further information. Always add value to your posts.
4. Try to avoid categories or tags with just one post. If you don’t build the pages correctly, you could have duplicate content problems; but if you do it right, it is a great opportunity to gain more traffic to your website. Always make sure that you have 4 or 5 posts classified in the same category (remember they must be related to each other) and don’t forget to give them a good title and a good description.
5. Never abuse of the number of tags you give to a post. If we do it in a massive way, it will very easy to create duplicate content.
6. It is fundamental to answer the comments of your readers. This is a perfect way to engage with them and provide more value.
7. Use interactive content in your Marketing Strategy. The use of Media (images, videos, clickable icons…) will influence your buyer’s journey.
8. Promote your blog. You can earn more traffic by interacting with other blogs, leaving your comments and using your Social Media Platforms to engage with your niche. As I said before in one of my previous posts HOW TO GET FOLLOWERS ON INSTAGRAM: WHAT NO ONE EVER TOLD YOU BEFORE, if you are an active user, you will get traffic to your account. If you want customers to appear, make them appear! Go and check out how to find new leads.
9. Do not reject to participate in online forums or writing articles in traditional websites.
10. Be yourself. Be natural, be empathetic and be sincere. Don’t be afraid of expressing opinions as long as you support them with reasonable arguments.
If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to leave your comments down below or contact me! 🙂